Join #CLOSEmsdf (https://closemsdf.org/) coalition members involved in the statewide campaign to close down the Milwaukee Secure Detention Facility on a walking tour of Westown - the downtown area west of the Milwaukee river and East of I-43.
Come and learn just how our tax dollars are spent! Over the course of our walk, we will discuss the good, bad, and the ugly institutions which line this area of our city and the public institutions that former mayor and Turner leader Frank Zeidler championed, such as Milwaukee public TV.. You'll learn the real history behind this part of Milwaukee from local historians and city planners, including Reggie Jackson, Ann Heidkamp, Mary Devitt, and more! The walk is free, but we do encourage you to grab a bite to eat afterwards and stay at Turner Hall for Ex Fabula's StorySlam which begins at 7:30pm!
THE BUILDINGS OF OUR WESTOWN WALK:
- We'll start at Turner Hall Ballroom, where we will take a moment to remember those who have come before us in the fight for humanity, provide a brief history of the Turners and discuss Vel Phillips as we depart.
- Then, we'll continue past the Fiserv Forum, Panther Arena and Milwaukee Theater on to MATC.
- Next, we'll move to the Municipal Courthouse, Channels 10/36 (PBS), & Police Headquarters, moving west along State Street.
- We'll cross State Street to hear about the services at St Benedict the Moor and the St Anthony Project.
- On 10th street, we will stop at James Wilborn Park to discuss both MSDF and the County Jail.
- We will move south on 10th street following the Courthouse and continue East on Wells St to the Milwaukee Public Museum.
- The final leg of the walk will take us past the WI State Office Building and then under the Wisconsin Center, back to Turner Hall Ballroom.
After the walk, grab a quick bite to eat at any of the establishments near Old World Third St. and head back to Turner Hall for an amazing StorySlam with Ex Fabula - doors open at 6:30pm with the event starting at 7:30pm. Tickets can be purchased in advance at https://pabsttheater.org/event/exfabula2019/
This roughly 1-mile walk through Westown will take city streets/sidewalks and is an accessible route. We will walk in light rain, but cancel the walk if there is heavy down pouring."